WHY WE MOVE
Original Human Movement is a movement to help modern people return to being human again. Taking us back to our roots to receive the nourishment we need to flourish. This is broken down into three main branches: movement, nutrition, and lifestyle. Moving, eating, and living in alignment with what has allowed us homo sapiens to survive for hundreds of thousands of years, is now a way for us to thrive.
For the majority of our time here on Earth, we’ve had to either run down our meat sources to exhaustion, or sprint away from becoming another animal’s meat source. We had to climb trees for honey, safe living spaces, or to get a better view. We had to get down to ground level to forage our greens, remain undetected, or stalk prey. We had to move for our food. So naturally, we moved how we ate, and ate how we moved. We had to walk, crawl, balance, run, jump, climb, lift, carry, throw, catch, and swim for all our resources. We had to fight for our lives, literally.
Today, we move a few fingers on a high-tech rock and can have food delivered straight to our temperature-controlled, artificially-lit cave. We outsource our hunting and gathering to grocery stores, our lives to television, and our tribes to social media. We’ve made big and comfy chairs, thick and stiff shoes, hard and flat floors, and wonder why we have poor posture, frequent injuries, and back pain. We’ve built right angles everywhere and wonder why we can’t think outside the box.
“We’ve built right angles everywhere and wonder
why we can’t think outside the box.”
We see this, and attempt to mitigate the damage of poor lifestyle choices through “fitnessing” (to our detriment). We lift things up and put them down, trudge endlessly on rat wheels, and exercise to “feel the burn.” Muscle isolation, chronic cardio, and meaningless movement. Forging strong links next to weak ones. Burning ourselves out through over-use and under-recovery. We say we have “bad hips,” “bad knees,” and “bad backs”. They’re not “bad”, our body is responding exactly as it should to the given stimuli. Want a different result? Change the stimulus.
Oh, you want to lose weight? Well then, be sure to portion control, take ALL the supplements, and “count those calories!”. If that doesn’t work try this magic pill or get a costly surgery, that should do the trick. Never mind just eating real food. Our ancestors are rolling over in their dirt piles. Why must we over-complicate everything? What ever happened to keeping it simple,
I know, simple isn’t always easy. Especially in modern times with modern conveniences. It’s not our fault. We’re just doing exactly what we’re wired to do, just not in the environment that we’ve evolved to do it in. There’s a difference between climbing a 60-foot tree for a bit of honey to share with the tribe once in a while, and walking a couple steps from the couch and downing 10x the amount of sugar diluted in water — or worse — not even getting up from the chair while driving up to a window for liquid “energy” that we chug all alone on the commute to work every day.
“We’re just doing exactly what we’re wired to do, just not in the environment that we’ve evolved to do it in.”
Clearly, our modern way of living is an evolutionary mismatch wreaking havoc on our health. We are not meant to be sick, weak, and disconnected. This is the result of a life unaligned. A life deficient in kinetic, edible, social, biophilic, and experiential nourishments that we require.
We need to remember who we are, where we’re from, and why we’re here. Original Human Movement is about aligning with our true selves in order to thrive as human beings.
…and this is exactly what we’re going to do in Bali this year. We’re moving BEYOND the yoga mat!
Let’s unlock our bodies, free our minds, and unleash our TRUE POTENTIAL!
– Nathan “Natural Nate” Amado
Founder of Original Human Movement (OHM)
“You’re a human, live like one!”
• 7 days and 6 nights (Oct 15-21) in the most clean, serene Nature you can imagine with full accommodations provided by Bali Eco Stay. (If you’re traveling with a partner/friend, let us know and we will book you together. These are big villas/bungalows that we are going to share with our tribe for the week.)
• Transportation to and from the retreat and airport (~2 hour trip).
• Guided tour of the land we’re staying on. (Rice paddy and permaculture exploration.)
• Rising Rituals first thing every morning. (Guided morning routine you can take home with you. “Win the morning, win the day!”)
• Daily movement sessions. (Practical, natural, human movement skills. “Be strong to be helpful.”)
• Daily breathing exercises. (All movement starts with breath.)
• Daily mindfulness practices. (Everything starts in the mind. “Strong mind, strong body”)
• Movement exploration. (Adventure, application, and adaptation.)
• Practical self-defense. (Principles, mindset, and techniques.)
• “Open mat” Jiu Jitsu training in the open-air bale (optional)
• Delicious, local, organic meals. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.)
• Quality, organic coffee and tea. (Organic coffee harvested and made on-site.)
• The purest volcanic spring water straight from the source.
• Guided nature treks/Mount Bantukaru summit. (Experience the real, beautiful Bali.)
• Waterfall exploration, walks, sits, and swims.
• 1-hour Balinese massage. (Unwind your body and mind. Relax and reset.)
• Local workshops with the elders. (Make coconut oil, create a shelter from coconut palm leaves, and carve a wooden knife and sheath.)
• Bon fire with traditional music to close on the last day of retreat.
ABOUT BALI ECO STAY
A Green Sanctuary in the Heart of Bali
Nestled in its very own luscious green valley, Bali Eco Stay is surrounded by fresh water springs and pure mountain streams that cascade down a twelve-meter waterfall into a rock pool of profound beauty. The resort is surrounded by towering food forests and sculptured rice terraces, and sits 480 meters above sea level, thus creating refreshing temperatures that are at least 5 to 10 degrees cooler than the coasts of Bali.
Bali Eco Stay takes its ethos of treading lightly upon the earth very seriously without compromising on the comfort of guests. Upon arriving in this mystical setting, you will indulge in all that nature has to offer, with fresh authentic food, breath-taking landscapes and vistas, and cooling temperatures with mountain breezes and fresh rock pools. Come and rediscover your sense of equilibrium and reconnect with nature.
Early Bird: $1,497 USD
After July 14th: $1,897 USD
* Limited to 12 spaces.
* Split payment option available.
* No refunds within 60 days of the retreat.
* Partial refunds available up until 60 days prior to the retreat ($400 cancellation fee).
• Book your flights to/from Denpasar (DPS) airport.
• We’ll arrange transportation for you from the airport to the retreat center on the 15th, and back on the 21st of October (~2-hour drive)
• Email us your flight itinerary for pick-up/drop-off.
• We’ll send an email of anything you might need to bring a few weeks prior, but remember, this is an all-inclusive retreat. The only thing you’ll really need to bring is your body, mind, and the openness to have the experience of a lifetime.
• Click here to read what people are saying about their experience at Bali Eco Stay!
In addition to all the intensive movement, breath, and mindfulness practices, workshops, and guided activities we will do together, there will be enough time for you to explore even more of Bali’s beautiful nature and culture. Bali Eco Stay offers a variety of activities including trekking through diverse ecosystems, full- or half-day tours (as comfortable or rugged as you want), and a wide range of workshops rooted in Bali traditions. Or, if you simply wish to relax, you might indulge yourself with another Balinese massage, swim in the pure water pool, sit by the waterfalls, read a book, play chess, or just enjoy the beautiful views all around.